Friday 30 September 2016

Summer | 16

Summer was -a bit all over the shop if I am being entirely honest. This space is often inspired by my lifestyle however I don't often write posts directly discussing my personal life. I think this is what these Recap posts will probably become; a little bit of an honest recap of, not only this space but also my health, studies, and personal life.

Life: 
The summer started with a disaster. Long story short the bottom floor of our townhouse flooded -with knee-high neat sewage. Because of this, we were evacuated to my grandparents where we have spent the whole summer. My grandparents only live a few towns away but still it has been difficult to stay well rested, keep updated with the house, battle with insurance assessors whilst also remaining sane. 

Throughout this time my beach hut has served as a serene oasis to escape to whenever we have the chance. With low signal and very little people around it is almost like being marooned on an island without any interference which has just been pure bliss. 

Feeling: 
The flooding process has also made me realize that I am very inward when it comes to my emotions and thoughts. I tend to go into my shell, only voicing my opinion when I think it is really necessary or, as my granddad says, be like the owl sees all, hear all, say nothing. Having said this, I have also noticed that my emotions and feelings tend to fuel a creative fire and I have felt driven and inspired more than ever to create. 

Reading:
I had a list of things to achieve over the summer but when the flood happened things had to be moved around a bit. A lot of the things I wanted to achieve were things I needed to do at home so I had to move to Plan B -my reading list. I didn't want to set my sights too high but there were quite a collection of books I wanted to read. These are a couple of them I got through:
Skin Cleanse, The Night Circus, It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be, The life-changing magic of tidying up, The golden rules of blogging, The Miniaturist, The Hound of Baskervilles and The Valley of Fear, and Careless People. 

Watching: 
Marathoned MIC, Friends, Gilmore Girls, My Family and a lot of youtube!

Creating:
Lots of Blog content -I am so excited to share the posts I have been working on throughout the summer. This space has really been a welcomed distraction from the house stresses. I have also been journaling a lot and updating photo albums, something I have been meaning to do for the longest time. 
Recent Favorites: 
These favourites are creature comforts along with a few new pieces. My mom gifted me a turntable at the beginning of the summer which I was over the moon with. I have a couple of records, my favourite being this one by the Script. I also got this pair of pink velvet loafer slippers, with an embroidered rose detail on the toe, that I have been obsessed with. Usually, I don't go for such light, feminine colours or styles but I love loafers and for some reason have felt so drawn to blush tones this year that I couldn't pass up on these beauts. My last favourite would probably be this granny square crochet blanket that was a gift last spring. It is so cozy, perfect to have to go into fall. 
Listening: 
To a lot of Podcasts. I have many favourites but the ones I have been leaning towards recently are LadyGang, Ctrl Alt Delete and Elise Gets Crafty. I particularly loved the episode of LadyGang when they had Amanda Schull as their guest. As a center stage fan, I couldn't help but listen to that episode a few times. 

Enjoying:
Something I have really been enjoying is this DSLR course, by A Beautiful Mess, I have been working through. I purchased it before Christmas but with health and finishing my uni year I wasn't able to crack it open. With my list of blog ideas as long as my arm and a numerous amount of photos to produce, it felt like the perfect time to whip it out and get to know how to use my camera in manual mode. Needless to say, I think it has gone really well, and I'm enjoying the flexibility that manual mode gives my photos. 

So, that has been my Summer and now I am so ready for Autumn. October is my favourite time of the year, mainly because of Halloween but also as my uni year starts and I'm ready to get back into my routine. 


What have your Summer highlights been? Are you looking forward to Autumn? 
Cheerio for now! 
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear your house was flooded, I hope everything gets sorted soon! What did you think of The Hound of the Baskervilles? It's my favourite Sherlock Holmes book but I remember being terrified by the BBC film when we had to watch it at school! xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet, We are back home now but we only have the bare essentials at the moment, so it's a little tricky making certain meals, etc and we're still going through certain things with the insurance so it is a little stressful -but so glad to be back home.
      I loved The Hound of Baskervilles! I do have a post coming up soon about it. It was my first of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work, and now I can't wait to read more of his stories. I really enjoyed it and I think it will probably be one of those books I constantly return to xx

      Jaime | whatsinadeck

      Delete

© whatsinadeck | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig