Monday 1 June 2015

Book Review: The perks of being a wallflower

The perks of being a wallflower, Stephen Chbosky 

This was another book that a cracked open within the final weeks of assignment work -procrastination in full affect! I began it during a cram session, with leftover pizza, coca-cola and red bull on hand; not the best or most nutritional study snacks but it was a 'you gotta do, what you gotta do’ situation. 

I have wanted to have a flip through this book for quite some time, but it has always struck me as maybe a ‘cult’ book, that others have clammed together and hyped about more than what it’s actually worth. It took me awhile to get into but once I had I realised it is actually pretty great book and actually resonates so much with me and my introverted thoughts. 

The book is based around a collections of letters wrote to someone only known as ‘friend’ from charlie, an introspective freshman, who likes to read books and is intelligent beyond his years. The book follows Charlie through coming-of-age passages such as making friends, exploring sexuality, dealing with a first crush, trying drugs and family tensions; as well as his desirable chase for feeling infinite with his best friends Sam and Patrick. Charlie’s letters let us into his daily thoughts and feelings, which lead us through his days as though we were there with him; within his head. 

Although I was slightly on the fence through a lot of the book itself, I really enjoyed the way the book was presented through the letters and the inner monologue of Charlie’s thoughts. It was something I have never really experienced from a book before. I would recommend for most, though I am sure not all would enjoy this type of read. 

Favourite Quote: “So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we’ll never know most of them. But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them” 

Have you ever read The perks of being a wallflower? 
Cheerio for now! 

Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© whatsinadeck | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig