Thursday 24 November 2016

Book Review: Hounds & Valleys

The Hound of Baskervilles & The Valley of Fear, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

Confession time. I have never read a Sherlock Holmes novel -well until this book I hadn't. That probably sounds shocking to some seen as I read so much but it wasn't until now that I had come across any that I truly wanted to read. This book edition includes The Hound of Baskervilles and The Valley of Fear. I immensely enjoyed The Hound of Baskervilles and the first part of The Valley of Fear but the second part I found quite difficult to get into and so, I weren't that fussed about it. Both novels involve both Holmes and Watson trying to solve perplexing crimes that they've been told of. 

The novel, The Hound of Baskervilles, revolves around the murder of Sir Charles Baskerville, the legendary curse of the hound that haunts the Baskervilles and Holmes trying to prevent the new master, Sir Henry Baskerville, coming to the same fate as his predecessor. As Holmes and Watson unravel the mystery, events, and characters within this tale, so to do the readers. This made for a quick read for me, mostly because of how exciting and gripping the tale was. 

The first part of The Valley of Fear was also a fast read for the same reason. The story drew me in and I felt enveloped within the story, wanting to know more and more until I reached the final verdict. As I mentioned, I wasn't all that fussed with the second part. In comparison to the first, I found it a little slow to start and I didn't feel as drawn in as I previously had. Though I would still recommend the first part and The Hound of Baskervilles to any who enjoy intriguing puzzles or 'murder mystery' type things. I can already see The Hound of Baskervilles becoming one of those books I return to continuously. 


Have you ever read these books? What did you think? Comment Below
Cheerio for now! 
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. The Hound of the Baskervilles is my favourite Sherlock story, no question, so I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I re-read it quite regularly, but only during the day haha! xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah I wouldn't read it at night! I loved to story, it was a great page turner for me and it definitely something I'd return to. Even though I know how it ends, I think the writing and story is so gripping it would still pull me in xx

      Delete

© whatsinadeck | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig