Friday 12 January 2018

Book Review: Uprooted, Naomi Novik

Uprooted, Naomi Novik 
Uprooted was a book title that kept popping up in my related reads, and I guess it falls into the fantasy-fairytale genre. The story is centred around a valley which is near the wood, enchanted with dark magic that corrupts all who enter. Agnieszka's, the main character, village relies on the Dragon, an infamous wizard to protect them from the wood's dark magic. However, his help comes at a steep price. Every ten years he picks a girl from the village to serve him for ten years. Agnieszka and the rest of her village assume he will pick her best friend Kasia but when the 'choosing day' comes, it isn't Kasia who he leaves with. Spoiler: he picks Agieszka, but its' with good reason. 

This book felt like a modern fairytale/folktale. I felt as though it transported me into Agnieszka's world and I experienced what the characters went through, alongside them. There were many plot twists to this book and many elements that I really liked, such as the development of relationships such as Agnieszka and Kasia's as well as Agnieszka and The Dragon/Sarkan. I felt torn through the book part of me wanting to know what happens and part reluctant for it to finish, and about half way through I felt it slowed down for a few chapters however by that point I was so engrossed within the world it couldn't put me off wanting to know the ending.


Have you read Uprooted? What did you think? 
Cheerio for now! 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© whatsinadeck | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig